Celebrations!

Longtime readers may note that Markipedia and I celebrate thousands - nay, millions - of anniversaries each year.

Okay, I exaggerate... we only celebrate 365 special occasions each year. Every once in a while, we push the envelope and celebrate 366. Every four years or so...

My living room in Delmar (Albany).
The first time Mark visited my home in Delmar (Albany), New York, he was living in Coastal New Hampshire. I wanted to make him a very special meal and serve it in my school bus-yellow dining room.

The meal opened with one of the most gorgeous soups in the world - a chilled plum soup. It’s deep, rich pink looked stunning in that room. The main course was a chilled salad of lobster, corn, and basil. Dusk settled and, by the time I brought the chocolate pots-de-crème to the table, we were dining by candlelight.

My wonderful kitchen; I hand-painted the tiles and knobs.
The origin of that luscious plum soup is Bon Appétit magazine, a recipe I clipped and saved more than 25 years ago. I make this soup only for very special occasions. It can be served both as a first course and a dessert.

I try to remember that every day is a special occasion, and should be celebrated as such. Whether it is a particular meal, a walk on the beach (or in the desert), or just sitting quietly in the garden, I take note of the specialness and hold it dear.

Most recently, I made this soup as the dessert to a meal celebrating the birthday of my good friend Patricia. It was a double celebration day, as we also toasted her anniversary with her husband, Philip. Philip is my cookbook benefactor; you have seen the fruits of his generosity often on this blog.

And, of course, this meal celebrated one of Mark's and my special days together - doing what we love best: sharing a meal with friends.

~ David

Chilled Plum Soup
adapted from Bon Appétit

1/2 cup apple juice
3/4 cup white wine, dry or sweet
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground ginger
1 pound Italian plums, chopped (about 1½ cups)*
1/8 cup sugar, or more if plums are tart
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
lemon slices and mint sprigs, for garnish

Bring juice, wine, and spices to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan.  Add plums and boil until very soft – about 15 minutes. You will be surprised at how much color is released by the skins as the plums cook. Press mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a non-metallic bowl and discard solids.  Stir in sugar immediately and allow to cool completely.

Blend in cream and lemon juice.  Refrigerate until well chilled, then serve in chilled bowls.  Garnish with a thin slice of lemon and a sprig of mint, if desired.

Serves 4 – can be doubled

* Different plums give different colors. The Italian "prune plums" make a more subdued pink, but have great flavor. Purple plums give a more hot pink color. 




Labels: , , , , , ,