It Curdn't Be Easier!

I told my friend Lisa that I was making lemon curd today, and asked if she liked it.

She had never had it, but her husband, Michael, loves anything lemony.

I told her I would give her a jar.

It has been a while since I made lemon curd. I had forgotten how easy it is.

The first time I made it was with my friend Joan back in Albany in the early 1990s. We decided to make lots of preserves for holiday gifts that year. The recipe I used today came from her little book: Harrod’s Book of Jams, Jellies, and Chutneys.

It’s the best I’ve had, and really couldn’t be easier.

~ David

Best Lemon Curd
Minimally adapted from Harrod’s Book of Jams, Jellies, and Chutneys.

3 large organic, untreated lemons (see notes)
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
8 ounces unsalted butter
2 1/3 cups granulated sugar


Finely zest all three lemons, then set zest aside. Juice the lemons and strain out the seeds and pulp. Measure out 1/2 cup of the juice and reserve any remaining for another use. Set aside with the zest.

Place the eggs and egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk well. Set aside.

In a large bowl set over simmering water, melt the butter (it will melt faster if you cut it into slices). When fully melted, add the sugar and stir to blend. When the sugar is warmed, add the eggs and mix in quickly. Add the juice and zest, and mix well.

Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, over simmering water for 10 minutes, or until thick and creamy.

Ladle into clean, dry containers and cover. Refrigerate until ready to use. Once open, continue to keep refrigerated.

Makes about 3 cups.

Notes: it is important that your lemons have not been treated with any waxes or pesticides. If they are, you will be eating them as the zest. Also, the sweetness of your lemon will make a difference. Tart lemons make tarter curd. Neither is right or wrong - just a matter of preference.






Labels: , , , ,