Today's Date(s)

It is time to write about dates again, as I have been gifted seven pounds of fresh, beautiful Medjool dates from my friends at the Bard Date Company in Yuma, Arizona. They are almost too good to cook with - they should be eaten and enjoyed as is... but....

... I was recently trolling through my little Book of Jams, Jellies and Chutneys (published by Harrod's) and came across a recipe for a date, raisin, apricot, and banana jam.

Mark pretty much hates anything with cooked bananas. And yet he is always so positive when I say I want to make something like this jam. "That sounds really... [big pause] good..." I know he doesn't mean it, but he is really kind to say so and support me in my culinary madness...

Even I thought this one sounded weird. But I made it, and it is really, really good. I gave it to a few people. As they read the name of the jam aloud, they thanked me graciously with a skeptical tone in their voices. Since then, they have reported that they didn't think they would like it, but they did. Even Mark liked it!

I followed the recipe to the letter... until I got to the sugar. After cramming multiple pounds of sweet fruits into my canning kettle, the idea of adding four - yes, four! - pounds of sugar seemed ludicrous. I cut it in half, still concerned that it was too much.

As it turned out half the sugar was just right, although I think it might have set better with the full amount. Next time around - and there certainly will be a next time - I think I will purée the fruit with a stick blender to see how it is with a smoother consistency.

Harrod's calls it a "tour de force" and says it would be good in a crêpe. I am not sure it rates "tour de force" but I do agree that it would make an incredible crêpe filling topped with a bit of crème Chantilly! I made a little faux Pop Tart with some leftover pie crust and filled it with this jam and it was very tasty! (Watch out, Kellogg's!) I can also say that it is lovely on toast (especially good when the toast is made with homemade bread), and combines nicely with goat cheese and crackers for an hors d’oeuvre.

I end this post with a toast to the best dates on earth - soft, chewy and sweet dates from Yuma, Arizona. And, of course, to my friends Liney and Jon for their kind gift!

~ David

Date, Raisin, Apricot, and Banana Jam 
- inspired by Harrod's of London

1/2 pound dried apricots

1 pound raisins
1 pound Medjool dates
3 bananas, in 1/4-inch slices
2 pounds granulated sugar


Dates may be purchased online form the Bard Date Company.


Soak the apricots and raisins in water to cover for 12 hours.

After soaking, slice the apricots thinly and place in a tall preserving kettle with the raisins and the soaking water. (It is important to use a tall kettle so that the jam doesn't spatter all over your stove, counters and hands!)


Pit and chop the dates, then add them and the bananas to the kettle.


Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.


Add the sugar and stir, cooking over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long wooden spoon.


To test whether or not the jam will set, put a saucer in the freezer. When you think the jam might be ready, put a small spoonful of it on the frozen plate. If it gels, the jam will set; if it doesn't gel, keep boiling!


Pack the jam into 10 half-pint sterile jars, seal and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.


Makes 5 pints. 



 

Labels: , , , , , , ,