Hot Cocoa vs. Hot Chocolate

In the realm of heavyweight championship fighting, this is as close as I get.

Hot cocoa vs. hot chocolate. Do you know the difference? I bet you would if thought about it, as there is a big, but simple, difference.

Hot cocoa is made with unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with a little sugar and milk.

Hot chocolate is chocolate—already processed and generally containing a significant amount of fat—melted into milk or, if really decadent, some form of cream.

I drink a large bowl of cocoa almost every single day, regardless of season. In lieu of coffee or tea, it is my go-to drink in the morning and generally keeps me sated until lunch.

Some favorite drinking chocolates.
Hot chocolate is a special occasion beverage for me. It is too rich for daily drinking. It makes a wonderful dessert, or is quite nice for afternoon tea.

For me, a self-admitted cocoa snob, the most important thing is that you use the best quality powder for the best results. My favorite is Pernigotti, but it has sadly disappeared from the market after the company was sold to the Turkish company Toksöz in 2013. I heard they closed the Italian factory in Liguria in 2018, which is when the cocoa disappeared.

I also love Perugina Cacao, and bring some back with me from Italy when I visit. Other excellent brands include the French Valhrona and Cacao Barry Extra Brute, and the Italian Venchi and Agostoni.

For hot chocolate, my same rule applies—the quality has to be the best. A general rule of thumb: if you don’t want to eat it as a chocolate bar, you won’t want to drink it. I have already posted my recipe for Spanish Baroque Chocolate which, if you haven't yet made, you should. It would be a great holiday treat. In addition, I have provided a list of favorite places for sipping hot chocolate.

Drink up!

~ David

Best Morning Cocoa
For measurements, I list weights, as the terms “heaping” and “rounded” for spoons are arbitrary, as are the sizes of the spoon bowls. Also, compacted cocoa powder and powders with higher moisture content can weigh more than than their sifted and dried out counterparts. Measure at first; you will get used to it and can then start eyeballing it. Also, adjust the amount of cocoa and sugar to please your palate... what I give below is perfect for me! And, you can see what I mean by "rounded" and "heaping" from the photos.

18 grams/.635 ounce granulated sugar (2 rounded teaspoons)
14 grams/.5 ounce cocoa powder (1 really heaping teaspoon)
3-4 teaspoon milk
2 cups/500ml milk (whole, 2%, 1%, or skim)


In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add 3-4 teaspoons of milk and whisk until it forms a nice, thick paste. Slowly whisk in the 2 cups milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. When bubbles form around the edges and steam begins to rise, the cocoa is ready. Do not let it come to a boil.

Makes 2 generous cups, about 9 ounces each.


A Few of My Favorite Places for Drinking Chocolate
   • Les Deux Magots, Paris  
   • La Charlotte de l’Isle, Paris
   • Angelina, Paris 
   • Caffè Florian, Venice
   • Café Konditorei Fürst, Salzburg
   • Café Tomaselli, Salzburg
   • Monsoon Chocolate, Tucson, Arizona
   • Venchi, Milan, New York, Boston, Chicago, and others
   • Maison du Chocolat, New York
   • Jacques Torres, New York
   • Dandelion Chocolate, San Francisco, California
   • L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolate, Walpole, New Hampshire



Labels: , , , , ,